Friday, February 18, 2011

Recombo DNA

Everything happens for a reason. 

God's Favourite DJ? [1]
They were forecasting rain last night. I figured it would be a good idea to take my car to the "Queer Post-Punk" night, where Kate was scheduled to spin her usual array of happy pop muzik. You see, I rarely drive anywhere. With the Montreal transit system being as efficient as it is, there's really no point. Besides, I have an indoor parking spot, which is a gift up here where the white stuff shows its frosty face once in a while. I thought that the rain would wash the weeks (months?) of inactivity off of my baby's silver paint job. Clever bugger, I am! Well, I didn't find myself all that clever after half an hour of going in circles, looking for a parking space. On an empty stomach. When I did manage to squeeze into the tightest God-damn spot I've ever been in in 22 years of driving, we made our way to a Japanese restaurant under the venue of the "Girly Gang of Four".


Queer Post-Punk? What in God's name is that, anyway?
Seriously...


After some damn fine sushi and two pots of the best green tea I've ever had, we made our way upstairs to "Klaus Nomi Land" (Who?). Well, like walking into the "Arkansas Klaus Nomi Appreciation Society Headquarters", the venue was empty. Our friend Chantal was in the DJ booth with her husband Pete: two really amazing people (and equally as amazing DJs!). Unfortunately, Chantal was spinning her fine tunes for the beer fridge. People finally managed to trickle in. All in all, we attract twenty to thirty random hipsters. Tight pants, ahoy! Ugh. Chantal decides to call the woman organizing this shindig, who is sadly bedridden and couldn't join us, only to learn that the other DJ booked for the night just called her and decided to bail. Oozing with professionalism, right? This person is apparently as reliable as Dr Nick Riviera. "Bye Bye, everybody!" Chantal had to leave relatively early as she was scheduled to work at 7 AM this morning (Poor thing!). Which meant that Kate was left holding the fort. It's then that it dawned on me. My car, which was snugly parked a few streets away, contained a few dozens of CDs! Kate and I could tag team it for the rest of the night (Hence the cliché.)! We finally decided that I would do about an hour. Having given up DJing last year to concentrate on projecting an assortment of exploitation trailers during my dear DJ Kali's set*, to say I was a wee bit nervous would be an understatement. 

A few beers later, I was back in from the rain with two CD binders under my arm. When I told you earlier that I rarely used my car, it should also tell you of the selection of CDs I had left in there! Luckily, I had a few copies that any self-respecting music fan should have access to at all times. Wait! Before you scream "Napster!" at me, let me explain something to you, my dear Lars. I try to a minimum number of original CDs in my car. Why? If some random schmuck decides to steal my lovely 2001 Pontiac Sunfire, I don't have a bunch of CDs to replace along with it! I told you. Clever bugger, I am.

Anyhoo, without any further pontificating, here is the setlist I managed to pull out of my...

 
Tag-Team Champions! [2]
LCD Soundsystem :: Dance Yrself Clean
 Anne Clark :: Sleeper in Metropolis 12"
 Killing Joke :: Eighties
 Polysics :: Kaja Kaja Goo
 The Vaselines :: You Think  You're a Man?
 DEVO :: Peek-a-Boo
 Trans Am :: Television Eyes
 Screamers :: Vertigo
 Fugazi :: Waiting Room
 Shellac :: Wingwalker
 Bauhaus :: Silent Hedges
 The Damned :: Plan 9 Channel 7
 Dinosaur Jr :: Freak Scene
 Hüsker Dü :: Everything Falls Apart



  *Big DJ Kali - Mr. DNA announcement forthcoming. 





Photos [1] © 2010 Dominic F. Marceau / F Squared Media
[2] Photo taken with my iPhone 3G S © 2011 Dominic F. Marceau / F Squared Media

1 comment: